20 July 2007

continuing

Friday: So, the free food. Review: I had decided to camp at the White River Crossing RV park because they had complementary hot showers and, after the 80km that I'd ridden from US customs, most of which was loose gravel and dirt, I was really looking forward to a good scrubbing.

On my way to the shower I was approached by a man who looked to be about my age. He said that he had seen me ride in and wondered if I was hungry. He had some food leftover and was happy to share. Since I hadn't planned on riding that day and didn't have any extra time between packing up my camp and catching my ride to the border I hadn't eaten much of a breakfast that morning. In Beaver Creek I had eaten a bit, but I hadn't planned on riding as far as I did and so hadn't eaten nearly as much as I ought to have. Though I was caked in dirt, I was hungrier than I was dirty. I told him as much, and thought I'd follow him to a tent or RV.

He led me to a big, sturdy looking tent. Inside there was a large kitchen. Two refrigerators, two stove/ovens, a few tables for food preparation, and many shelves of food in boxes and bags. Instead of the generous camper I'd taken him to be, I learned that he was the cook for a large group of geologist doing exploratory work for a mining firm. He was not just a generous camper, but a generous camper cooking for 30, with a South African firm picking up the food tab. He told me that I could take whatever I liked, not just from the dinner leftovers, but anything in the tent was available. The geologists were leaving the next day, and any leftover food would have to be shipped elsewhere and stored, and if it was perishable it would just spoil anyway. I ate well, and had my first fresh produce since Glennallen. He then packed a bag of food for me to take and eat later on my travels: granola bars, tortillas, apples, tomatoes, yogurt, veggie brats, cans of soup and beans, and bags of trail mix. The bag probably wighted 15 pounds. After a few hours of sharing food and stories I thanked him again, cleaned myself up, and went to sleep feeling awe and appreciation about how lucky I seem to be.

No comments: