12 July 2007

catching up

It's been over a week since I've last posted and there will be a lot to talk about, but I'll try and keep it brief. Last night I reunited with Ben and Kayla and we're all alive and dirty and loving everything. The details, in a somewhat abridged form, follow. Feel free to skim.



Sunday: Kelly offered to come to Glennallen and spend my rest days with me. I accepted, though I didn't understand why somebody would want to spend their days off laying on the ground with their feet iced and elevated if they weren't in fact injured. Another cyclist, Betsy, shared the campsite with me. She arrived at 9.30 and was asleep by 10.30. Kelly arrived after midnight.

Monday: Kelly drove me to Valdez, someplace I had long hoped to visit. There I had my first bear encounter and saw beautiful waterfalls and mountains. I've offically promised to go back to Valdez next summer to swim in a pool that we found beneath a waterfall. So, Alaskans, I'll see you this time next year. If I had been in Valdez without janky ankles I would have loved to do some hiking and exploring. Ah well, there's always next year.

Tuesday: We spent the day exploring waterfalls that weren't too remote or difficult to access. That night we drove to and stayed in Gakona.

to be continued.....

No comments: