07 December 2007

what's love got to do with it?

Love is differnt here. In a guidebook I read that if you want to tell somebody that you love them then you had better have a ring in hand and be ready to start a large family. I'm having a somewhat difficult time with this. I tell my friends that I love them, and I mean it. I find that I'm constantly thinking things like "no, I really enjoy camping, but I don't want to give people the wrong idea about why I like sleeping outdoors". It is hard to edit out our American idioms when trying to speak en EspaƱol. One morning at breakfast Ben tried to tell our host father that the food was delicious. Instead he looked Micho square in the eyes and said: "I love you, Beans". Everyone involved was deeply embarrassed, both because of what amounts to a taboo against discussing love here, and because Ben thought Micho's name was Beans. Despite the seriousness of the term, or maybe because of it, the song "I want to know what love is" plays nearly constantly here in the shops and cafes. It's a confusing concept, love.

2 comments:

Erica said...

what verb are you using for love, in the case of the beans for example. It is really funny.

S- Bone said...

Have you been thinking about love lately again?